The first few days

Today marks my fourth day in India and so far it has been amazing. I don't think it has hit me yet that I am actually in a different country but I do feel the difference in culture. I landed in Mumbai (after a 24 hour travel day) on Sunday the 6th and was met by my host father, host brother and future host father. From there we had about a four hour drive home to Surat where I met my host mom, sister, and grandparents. Monday was a holiday of Raksha Bandhan which means "bond of protection" between siblings. It is a tradition in which the brother promises to protect the sister(s). There are exchanges of sweets and gifts and a short ritual.
Everyone here has been so kind and welcoming to me, especially as I try to get over some gnarly jet-lag. 👎 I am slowly but surely learning the little day to day customs and ways of living.
Tomorrow I will start school and I am excited to begin keeping busy. I had a meeting today at the school to get my uniform, set up a bus stop and have an interview to set up classes. They will have me go to different classes of my interest for the first few days and then I will select which classes I want to take for the rest of the year. The school specializes in math, sciences, and sports. I hope to play tennis and possibly volleyball, yoga or climbing.
I have tried many different foods already. Some have been standard Indian dishes, some have been specialized to Gujarat and others specialized to Surat itself. I have been feeling a bit nauseous since arriving but the food is still just as delicious. For now I have been able to keep up with the spice levels of my family which I am proud of!
I am so elated to discover what this year has to offer and all of the things I will learn.
With Love,
Nora❤

Comments

  1. Dear Nora,
    I had no idea you were going to India. I am so proud of you. I love reading about your adventures. Please keep writing them. I will be praying for you.
    Hug, Karla Reimers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts